Wednesday 5 August 2020

Shannon Shaw

Back in May I was contacted by a music teacher from 3 O'Clock Rock and asked if they could use this blog for a music program they wanted to do called Pioneering Women in Rock n Roll. The idea of 10-13 year olds learning about these women filled me with so much joy and I said yes straight away. Ten weeks later here's the class presentation that one of the students made about Shannon Shaw. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!




Shannon Shaw 

By: Luna Garcia






Shannon Shaw is a musician born on May 21, 1983 in Napa, California.

When she was a kid her parents didn’t let her listen to pop music so she 

listened to oldies music because that’s what her parents listened to. 

She started playing bass when she was 25 years old. She sings and plays

 bass in Shannon and the Clams and she played bass in Hunx and His Punx


In 2008, Shannon and the Clams recorded the album “Scuffle With the Clams”,

 onto CD in guitarist Cody’s bedroom. 


In 2009, they recorded their first studio album called “I Wanna Go Home

 with 1-2-3-4 Go! Records from Oakland, California


Then in 2018 Shannon recorded her first solo album called “Shannon in Nashville”.

Listen to one of her songs called “Cryin’ My Eyes Out”


On Spotify their song “Ozma” is their most popular song, it has over 6 million plays.
















Shannon inspires me because I really like her voice and her fashion style is awesome, she plays bass really well.


Please enjoy this interview I did with Shannon Shaw. 


Luna:  All-time favorite band or musician?

Shannon: Roy Orbison is my favorite singer ever!


Luna: What do you do to get psyched before playing a show?

Shannon: Sometimes literally jumping up and down! I always warm up my voice a lot, sometimes me and the band take ginger

 turmeric shots and then do some simple stretches.


Luna: Where do you get inspiration for your fashion style?

Shannon: I think it’s a mixture of Minnie Mouse/Pink Ladies from Grease/Alice in Wonderland/BeBop and Rocksteady from the

 Ninja Turtles/various John waters characters


Luna: What women musicians have inspired you and why?

Shannon: Etta James is one of my all time favorite artists ever! She pushed the envelope on what peoples ideals of beauty 

and singing looked like. She wasn’t the typical talent or package, she was much more. She sang with her whole self, not just a 

voice. Her voice embodies her whole spirit, every moment of pain and love she experienced. I’d say 99% of singers cannot do that

! I also love the singer of Shocking Blue, Mariska Veres. Her voice is so bold and powerful, she sounds like she is kicking the door 

in before she walks through.


Luna: What music did you listen to when you were growing up?

Shannon: Growing up I listened to oldies. I was raised really religious and wasn’t allowed to listen to pop music so me and my

 brothers just listened to what my parents liked, oldies! Lot’s of Patsy Cline, the Animals, Roy Orbison, the Flamingos, Shangri La’s,

 Creedence Clearwater Revival etc.


Luna: How did you decide to play the style of music that you play?

Shannon: I think it just flows naturally through me. I think the oldies I really love have singers that use their feelings and their

 voice to speak to people. I think punk music is like that too! I remember finding a Thrasher Skate Rock tape and getting super 

obsessed with the bands on it. They are screaming and yelling and demanding what they want and need, oldies are begging

 and pleading and crying. I think in a weird way, they both display a vulnerability through their voice, there’s real identifiable 

human feeling behind it that just speaks to me.


 

 

Luna: What advice do you have for young musicians?


Shannon: 

1. Don’t worry about ‘being good’ right away. Worry about working hard, staying true to your feelings and

 experimenting! Think outside the box 

2.  DO NOT BASH OTHERS. Its tempting and hard not to bash other girls who are playing music, we are

 trained by society to compare each other and feel jealous/envy etc. We need to hold each other up and 

support each other. You can learn soooo much from someone who is different than you, and if someone is

 a jerk, maybe something bad is going on with them at home and their attitude is a mirror of their experience.

 Compassion. Especially support women, lgbtq and POC. These voices need to be heard and supported and 

encouraged! 

3. DO NOT PUT UP WITH CRAPPY MEN. You will experience them, they’re EVERYWHERE especially in 

the music scene and industry. Never let them make you feel less than, never let them tell you what to do, if

 they are not lifting you up and being a comrade keep on walking


Luna: What books or movies have inspired your music lately?

Shannon: I read a ton of true crime. I just started reading the journalist Ronan Farrow’s book called Catch

 and Kill about his trying to expose bad men in the film industry. Haruki Murakami is my very favorite author.

 His books are magical realism, so trippy, weird fiction that feel like dreams when you read them. My favorite is 

Windup Bird Chronicles. As for movies, I just rewatched Midsommer. It's a pretty messed up film but interesting 

and the visuals are super inspiring.

 

Luna: Five musicians are bands you think I should listen to?

Shannon: 

1. Sheer Mag

2. La Luz

3. Dion and the Wanderers album Kickin’ Child

4. Jackie Shane

5. Arthur Alexander 

 

Luna: What has been your favorite show that you’ve ever played?

Shannon: There are so many good ones. Burger Boogaloo every year is my favorite show ever.